Wednesday, 29 June 2011

Paintings in the oval/elipse

I have been trying to get as much done as possible before I go off Fri on my hols for two weeks and I'm trying not to panic about the deadline for 'Uncharted Landscapes'.

I am really excited about the new body of work that I am planning, ( mind you it always is really exciting at this stage as the vision of creating a masterpiece is tanterlisingly within reach and hasn't yet dissolved in the reality of painterly production!), and I am trying to get all the preparation done ie; the studies and supports, so that when I get back I can really get stuck in. However still waiting on the delivery of one of the panels but hey ho!

For this new series I am experimenting with working within an eliptical framework, so having worked out how to actually draw an accurate elipse, I have been making templates, drawing out and masking off before painting the frame onto each support. This did prove to be quite a challenge, especially with the larger piece and it took quite a lot of adjustments to make sure that the measurements were spot on. I think that in the future it would be worth producing some more permanent templates in a range of sizes that I can keep and use again and again, this will help cut down on the amount of time it takes to do this.

Why an elipse? Well its different so its a good way to catch the viewers eye. It also has the feel of looking through a tunnel or window  - into another world? It has an historical link with painting and for me conjurs up a link with romanticism, although I can't qualify this. Lastly, it provides a frame for the landscape.

I'll let you know wether or not the experiment is working as the painting progresses.

2 comments:

  1. you mean ellipse, oval indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK so my knowledge on geometry is a little lacking but after having checked it out on google I agree with your definition. Thank you for pointing it out, from now on......

    ReplyDelete